Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Weekend Re-cap: Base Miles, Powerbar Reload, All Systems GO!

Training this past weekend was the end of my base 1 period for 2011.  This was actually the second time I completed a base 1 period this year, as I was really sick at the beginning of January and decided to just start over.  So the cardio is there, but the last weekend of base periods is always the hardest part of training.

Training is all about pushing the edge of what your body can handle without doing harm so then it builds back stronger.  If the edge is pushed too far the body fails to build back and actually is hurt by the “training”.  So if done right, the last weekend of base should be at the edge of what my body can handle in endurance, but not going over. 

Lindsay has nicknamed me knight rider, because the kids get in bed and I hit the trainer sometimes for up to 5 hours.  It has actually gotten to the point where she hums the theme song and smiles at me after we get the kids in bed…This weekend was no exception.

Friday: I hit the trainer for a steady 2 hour ride around 9 pm to open up my legs a bit  for the next day at BE fitness.  I had taken Thursday off and was a  little stiff from not riding. 

Saturday: I was up early to head over to BE for some more computrainer time, but no Ironman Kona course this time around.

computrainer 2-5-11

computrainer 2-5-11-2

Solid 4 hours and the wattage is good.  Supplied gels, gel blasts, and powerbars for everybody.  Although I did find myself alone for the last hour, there is nothing like a “group ride” even if it is indoor and simulated.  We actually went through my last stash of powerbars at this ride so it was a good thing when I got home to find…..

powerbar reload

My 1 year old Kyle trying to eat all the new powerbars that came in…really though, he goes through more than I do if we don’t lock the cabinet.  He liked the plastic air bag packaging in his hands better than any toys or treats we could have given him though.

Sunday:  I thought I may get my ride in before the Superbowl, but Lindsay has to workout too, so she went to the YMCA with Asa and did some rock climbing and cardio stuff.  We went to a friends house for the Superbbowl which was fun, but the whole time I am thinking about how late it will go and how late will it be by the time I get on the bike?  Fun was over around 9 pm, Asa in bed at 9:30 pm, on the bike by 10 pm and my final ride of Base 1 done at 3 AM….

“The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.”

“Dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price.”

“Once you agree upon the price you and your family must pay for success, it enables you to ignore the minor hurts, the opponent's pressure, and the temporary failures.”

I like watching football because I enjoy competition in almost any form, so I guess these quotes from Lombardi are relevant here as Green Bay was the under dog who are now champions through adversity

Rest week is happening and 1-2 hour rides max all week with a test on the computrainer Saturday to see where threshold is at.  Body is finally feeling close to 100% recovered from the sickness.  I know I said I would have sponsor/team announcements by this week, but opportunities just keep opening up and getting better, so I need to delay a week…I sure hope my kit company this year has a good turn around time….

Thanks for reading,

Nathan

4 comments:

Jesse said...

5-hour trainer rides until 3am?!?

Geesh...I guess I need to re-evaluate my "base training" this season. ha.

Way to keep on, keepin' on!

Anonymous said...

good job man...keep it up, you will be killing it this year!!

im even to lazy to register on google...so anonymous it is for tonight:)
Jeremy

G'pa said...

I cannot express myself enough to be amazed, delighted, awed, humbled, and blessed to have you as my loved grandson! You always had the will and now you also have the determination...never give up your goal and keep your vision clear and be firm in your trust in ALL things
truthful...G'pa

Brianna Dederich said...

Woo-hoo! Go Night Rider! :-D