Friday, February 18, 2011

1st Threshold Test, Power to Weight Ratios, & Base 2

Last week Saturday I attended the BE Fitness ride again for some Computrainer time.  It was the end of a rest week, so a test of fitness was on the schedule.  My buddy Chris Franson borrowed me a book a while back called “Training and Racing with a Power Meter”.  According to this chart in the book, my first intensity ride of the year has me in the Cat 1 level for racing.  This is encouraging as I have done no threshold training yet this year in any form and it is a very trainable number.  My goal is Div. I/II Pro  by time the season hits.  The science behind this is simple, less weight and more power.  This is a fine balance, because the more weight you take off the more power you can lose if it is not done right.  I will drop about 5 LBS. to do this and hopefully gain 50+ watts.   I am pretty excited about these nerdy numbers because I have never trained this way, but have a very real fitness goal that has actual data to measure it and not just how I “feel” about a group ride or race any given weekend.

Power to weight ratios and corresponding Race Categories

image

If you want  to calculate your numbers for this chart it is really simple.  Just get on the scale…then scream and yell and cry Winking smile…after that episode use a converter to get your weight in Kilograms, assuming you are American.  Then divide the avg watts you can hold in a 20 min TT by your weight in kilograms.  This will give you a number which is a good estimate on your power to weight ratio for your Lactate Threshold.  If sprinting is your thing, or short BMX races, or Track, then the shorter durations in the chart may be of more interest to you, but for Cross Country and Road Racing/ Time Trials the Lactate Threshold numbers are of utmost importance.

As for my training now, Base 2 has started for me and I really enjoy a bit of tempo mixed in with my endurance rides.  Looking forward to pushing the pace on group rides soon enough and maybe some road racing in about a month.

In other news, Lindsay is teaching my daughters that packing a lunch for Daddy is a part of their morning routine and as I walk out the door for school I love hearing all about what they made for me.

Snapshot

Here is a surprise I found in my lunchbox I was not told about this morning.

Thanks Charis (my three year old)!

I will let you all know her exact artistic interpretations after I ask her tonight.

4 comments:

Sean said...

you are a scientist, a scholar, an athlete, and general overcomer in the spirit.

Marty said...

I want to try that.

Brianna Dederich said...

I love the nerdiness of the excitement about this new method, hehe.

And I would love to hear Charis's artistic interpretation. :-)

Bri said...

By the way, I love that the girls are packing lunch for you now. That rocks. :-)