Monday, June 27, 2011

My Pro XCT Prep

See a resemblance?

2011-06-20 19.22.52

Above is my Daughter Asa bombing the hill at Lapham Peak during our weekly group ride.  She always asks to climb the hill, but I am starting to think the climb has nothing to do with the request…Below is me giving it all at this past weekends Subaru Cup Pro XCT #5 and WORS #4.subaru cup 2011 xc2

Now if I could only take Asa’s advice about how to win a race.  Prior to the weekend Asa, on her own initiative, told me to not try to go to the front right away but sit in “5th or 6th” and then go for it on the last lap…if only I had listened to that advice after I made the lead group in that Short Track…Full race report to come on this and the rest of this past weekend, pretty much the most amazing  racing event I experience every year, right here in Midwest Wisconsin!

Here are a few other pics of my Preparation for the big weekend.

IMG_1803

Above is a win the weekend prior at the 3 hour events in the WEMS Southern Kettle Classic at the John Muir Trails…Below sprinting with the road bikes during a short cameo I made at the Gun Show last week Tuesday.

gunshow MTB

Stay Tuned!

4 comments:

Jsmithers said...

You again beating on the sport riders in a 3 hour! You gotta step up and race with your peers! Cmon man!

Unknown said...

A response needs a blog post in itself, but 3 things.

1st and FOREMOST, XC racing is a discipline within cycling specifically mountain biking. Endurance racing is a completely different discipline of racing within cycling/mountain bike racing. If there were no "3 hour" aka xc type event I would not be showing up for any WEMS races. I enjoy XC racing on the mountain bike, I don't like anything beyond this, on the mtb at least. On road I do enjoy longer races. This is why there are specific definitions around what time durations qualify as a XC race versus a Marathon etc...like some of the adventure 212 guys who are focusing on endurance events and admittedly there xc suffers and vice versa,they are different kinds of racing within the sport.

2. It is the week before one of my biggest races of the year, so I am not going to trash my legs in a discipline I am not peaking for at all that I don't enjoy while trying to nurse a knee injury...if we had 6 or 12 hour races in March then maybe, that is when I ride those kind of hours...

3. All of my peers were off xc racing in other parts of the mid-west, I wish they would come race the WEMS, but maybe I should just go do the other xc races where my peers are because I really don't want to be bothering anyone...especially if 3 hrs is meant to be the "beginner" race, but either I am wrong or I think someone has missed the point here...

If you are just kidding, well then haha, but I had a few people say I should do the 6 hr because that is what other "Fast Guys" are doing, but they have a different focus than me and I just want to make sure people understand a three hour race at XC pace is plenty for anyone no matter what level you race at...

Ronsta, said...

Why further nichify our sport? What happened to being a good all around MTB'r? Back in the day nationals consisted of XC, DH & slalom in one weekend. Tomac was the man. Multi-talented riders like Craig and Eatough are realass mountainbikers too.

That 85miler at Kettle did'nt kill my legs and this past weekend only tuned up my redline for the 24 in month.

It's all just mountain biking, don't take it so seriously ;)

bmxmtbfam said...

I printed that awful picture of me and put on the fridge and soda machine, I really need to turn it around, i have fallen off the deep end